The Standards Committee consists of seven members of Chichester District Council; three parish councillors nominated by the three sub-districts of the Chichester District Association of Local Councils (co-opted in a non-voting capacity); and the two independent persons appointed by the Council in accordance with section 28 (7) of the Localism Act 2011 (who are invited to attend meetings in an advisory capacity).
The chairman and the vice-chairman of the Standards Committee are each appointed by the Council from the Chichester District Council members of the Standards Committee.
The Standards Committee has the following terms of reference
(1) To advise the Council on the implementation of its duty to promote and maintain high standards of conduct by members and co-opted members of the authority (section 27 of the Localism Act 2011).
(2) To advise the Council as to the adoption and interpretation of a code dealing with the conduct that is expected of members and co-opted members of the authority when they are acting in that capacity. To review from time to time that code of conduct and make recommendations to the Council as to its revision or replacement where appropriate.
(3) To provide advice to parish councils in the Chichester District as to their obligations in respect of 1 and 2 above.
(4) To advise the Council on the implementation of its duty to have in place arrangements under which allegations that a member or co-opted member of the authority or of a parish council in the District has failed to comply with the relevant authority’s code of conduct can be investigated and decided upon.
(5) To consider and determine, through its Assessment Sub-Committee and Hearing Sub-Committee, allegations that a member or co-opted member of the authority or of a parish council in the District has failed to comply with the relevant authority’s code of conduct. In so doing, to seek and take into account the views of an independent person appointed by the Council in accordance with section 28 (7) of the Localism Act 2011.
(6) To advise on the training of members of the Council and of parish councils in the Chichester District in matters of conduct, and the provision of advice to such members on such issues as the registration and disclosure of interests and general conduct issues.
Only the Chichester District Council members are entitled to vote at meetings.
At each meeting there is a public question and details of this may be viewed via this link:
Support officer: Graham Thrussell on 01243 534653. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org