Meetings of this committee are audio recorded
The Overview and Scrutiny Committee (OSC) has 15 members and is based on political proportionality. It meets five times a year and reports to Council. The committee’s three main functions are set out below:
Policy Development and Review:
Reviewing current practices and policies to bring them up to date and identify gaps.
Developing new policies in response to changed priorities or legislation.
Researching and providing innovative thinking on particular issues.
Monitoring and reviewing deliverability of local services, whether provided by the Council or local organisations.
Challenging poor or under-performance.
Ensuring the best use of resources and value for money for local residents and eliminating waste.
Holding the Executive (Cabinet and Chief Officers) to account for their decisions:
Questioning decisions taken by the council’s Executive.
Ensuring they are ‘held to account’ for their actions.
The committee also has a number of powers:
- to make reports and recommendations to the council’s Executive on issues which affect the area
- to require members and officers of the council to attend meetings and provide information
- to require information from partners
- to require partners to ‘have regard’ to a report or recommendations
- to consider crime and disorder issues (at least once a year)
- to consider Councillor Calls for Action requests and petitions
The committee presents an annual report to the Council each year, setting out the work it has done and the improvements it has brought about.
For a more in-depth look at the scrutiny function please see the council's Scrutiny Guide.
Support officer: Bambi Jones on 01243 534685. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chichester District Council
East Pallant House
1 East Pallant
Phone: 01243 534685