The Cabinet is requested to consider the report and make the following resolution:
That, subject to consideration of any comments referred by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee the proposed Events Strategy for the period 2020 – 2025 and Events Policy for Chichester district be adopted.
1. That Cabinet adopts the Events Strategy as set out in appendix one and Events Policy as set out in appendix two incorporating the minor amendments presented today.
2. That Cabinet approves a sum of £15,000 from Capital Reserves to cover the cost of a three phased electricity supply to Priory Park, Chichester.
Cllr Briscoe introduced the item and outlined the following amendments:
· On page 1 of the Events Policy move bullet point ‘f’ to third in the list.
· On page 2 add ‘and local residents’ to the end of bullet point ‘c’.
· On pages 2, 4 and 8 update ‘Lifeboat Way’ to ‘Lifeboat Green’.
· On page 5 replace ‘up to four events’ with ‘up to three events’.
· On page 8 add the following comment at the end of the Site Specifics Section ‘Each event will be assessed in line with the Hire of Land Terms and Conditions. For headline and feature events further information regarding travel plans and parking with be considered prior to agreement for hire of land’.
· On page 10 change paragraph ‘b’ to ‘Operating hours for events may be between 9am to 12am (excluding set-up and set-down). Operating hours will be considered on an individual basis depending on type and scale of the event and the location. In exceptional circumstances an extension of these hours may be sought from the licensing authority’.
· On page 11 add the following ‘e) The Council will inform local Councillors and resident associations and park user groups of the event programme for each park and will consider their views during the planning stages for each event. Organisers of larger events will be encouraged to liaise directly with these groups to understand any concerns and limit the impact their event might have on local communities’.
Cllr Briscoe then proposed the following amended recommendation which was accepted by the Cabinet:
Cabinet adopts the Events Strategy as set out in appendix one and Events Policy as set out in appendix two incorporating the minor amendments presented today.
Cllr Sutton thanked Cllr Briscoe for his support in the process. He wished to note that the Strategy remains a ‘live’ document.
Cllr Sutton then outlined his concerns that there is currently a lack of suitable power supply at Priory Park for events. He explained there are two options:
1. A three phased supply which would be sufficient for most events at a cost of £15,000.
2. A larger supply which would need to be brought into the Park via Guildhall Street and would involve the installation of a new sub-station at a cost £120,000.
Cllr Sutton then proposed the following additional recommendation which was accepted by Cabinet:
That Cabinet approves a sum of £15,000 from Capital Reserves to cover the cost of a three phased electricity supply to Priory Park, Chichester.
Cllr Moss explained that Cllr Briscoe had covered the recommendations from Overview & Scrutiny Committee and supported the flexibility and ‘live’ nature of both documents. Cllr Moss did express his concern as to whether the £15,000 investment from Capital Reserves was sufficient to cover activities such as an ice-rink or would it need more.
Cllr Bell was invited to speak. He explained that he was pleased the procedure was being formalised prior to hire of land being agreed but he raised concerns relating to the site specific table which ... view the full minutes text for item 50