Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Noted
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Proposed new policy detailing capital spending
in relation to housing improvement, with a focus on reducing cold
homes and fuel poverty, and also improving standards in the private
rented sector. The document also includes a new Enforcement Policy
providing officers with all the legislative tools available, to
enable them to deal with those who fail to maintain their
properties to a safe standard, including rogue landlords.
*RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL
1) That the Housing Standards Financial Assistance and Enforcement Policy 2021-2026 set out in the appendix is approved.
2) That the remaining existing budgets are used together with £233K, repurposed from the Affordable Housing Capital fund, to provide the financial assistance required to support this policy, as set out in 7.1, and a review of the policy and funding requirements is undertaken in year 3.
3) That the enforcement of the new Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 be delegated to the Director of Housing and Communities for enforcement under the new policy.
4) That the use of monies received through the issuing of fines to be used to meet the cost and expenses incurred in, or associated with, carrying out any such enforcement work.
5) That delegation be given to the Divisional Manager for Housing following consultation with the Cabinet Member for Housing, Communications, Licensing and Events to make minor amendments to the policy as required.
Report author: Mrs Liz Reed
Publication date: 18/02/2021
Date of decision: 16/02/2021
Decided at meeting: 16/02/2021 - Cabinet